489 Bernardston Road
The following heart conditions require detailed information and reports to be presented at the time of the exam:
Arrhthymias [SVT (supraventricular tachycardia), Tachycardias, Atrial fibrillation/Atrial flutter, Bradycardias]
- The driver must be asymptomatic present annual written clearance from cardiologist to that effect.
- If the driver is taking Coumadin for Arial fibrillation, DVT (blood clot in legs) or Pulmonary Embolus (blood clot in lungs), s/he will need to be on it for at least 1 month and will need to produce monthly INR blood test results showing a therapeutic level
- If the driver has a pacemaker, it must be at least 1 month after implantation.
- Need to produce certification annually of proper functioning on unit and annual clearance by cardiologist
- If the driver has had an ablation for Atrial flutter or SVT, s/he needs to wait at least 1 month after procedure and have clearance from an electrophysiologist (cardiology specialist)
Aneurysms (Abdominal Aortic, Thoracic, Others)
- Must present results of annual ultrasound to determine size and must provide written annual clearance by a vascular surgeon
- If an aneurysm gets to a certain size, the driver might be disqualified until s/he has had surgery
Coronary Heart Diseases [MI (heart attack), Angina, CHF]
- Must present written clearance by cardiologist annually, stress test and ECHO results every 2 years
- If certain criteria are not met on the ECHO or stress test, the driver may not qualify for a medical card
- Must be at least 1 week after procedure
- Initial stress test must be produced 3-6 months after procedure
- Must provide annual written clearance from cardiologist with a stress test
Valvular Heart Diseases (Aortic/Mitral/Pulmonary Stenosis, Regurgitation, Prolapse)
- Must present results of echocardiograms and exercise tolerance tests every 2 years and annual written clearance by cardiologist.
- If severe, must be at least 3 months from valve replacement
- Must present cardiologist evaluation and diagnosis. If grade III-VI, must provide results of echocardiogram and annual clearance by a cardiologist
- Must be asymptomatic.
- Must present annual written clearance from cardiologist and holter monitoring results.
- Must be at least 1 year after transplant.
- Initially will need annual clearance from cardiologist and then every 2 years
Disqualifying Heart Conditions:
- Idiopathic, Hypertrophic, Restricted Cardiomyopathy, Prolonged QT syndrome, AICD (Implantable Defibrillator)
Patients must arrive 30 minutes prior to closing time in order to be seen. We apologize for any inconvenience.