Patients must arrive 30 minutes prior to closing time in order to be seen. We apologize for any inconvenience.
489 Bernardston Road
The following heart conditions require detailed information and reports to be presented at the time of the exam:
Arrhthymias [SVT (supraventricular tachycardia), Tachycardias, Atrial fibrillation/Atrial flutter, Bradycardias]
- The driver must be asymptomatic present annual written clearance from cardiologist to that effect.
- If the driver is taking Coumadin for Arial fibrillation, DVT (blood clot in legs) or Pulmonary Embolus (blood clot in lungs), s/he will need to be on it for at least 1 month and will need to produce monthly INR blood test results showing a therapeutic level
- If the driver has a pacemaker, it must be at least 1 month after implantation.
- Need to produce certification annually of proper functioning on unit and annual clearance by cardiologist
- If the driver has had an ablation for Atrial flutter or SVT, s/he needs to wait at least 1 month after procedure and have clearance from an electrophysiologist (cardiology specialist)
Aneurysms (Abdominal Aortic, Thoracic, Others)
- Must present results of annual ultrasound to determine size and must provide written annual clearance by a vascular surgeon
- If an aneurysm gets to a certain size, the driver might be disqualified until s/he has had surgery
Coronary Heart Diseases [MI (heart attack), Angina, CHF]
- Must present written clearance by cardiologist annually, stress test and ECHO results every 2 years
- If certain criteria are not met on the ECHO or stress test, the driver may not qualify for a medical card
- Must be at least 1 week after procedure
- Initial stress test must be produced 3-6 months after procedure
- Must provide annual written clearance from cardiologist with a stress test
Valvular Heart Diseases (Aortic/Mitral/Pulmonary Stenosis, Regurgitation, Prolapse)
- Must present results of echocardiograms and exercise tolerance tests every 2 years and annual written clearance by cardiologist.
- If severe, must be at least 3 months from valve replacement
- Must present cardiologist evaluation and diagnosis. If grade III-VI, must provide results of echocardiogram and annual clearance by a cardiologist
- Must be asymptomatic.
- Must present annual written clearance from cardiologist and holter monitoring results.
- Must be at least 1 year after transplant.
- Initially will need annual clearance from cardiologist and then every 2 years
Disqualifying Heart Conditions:
- Idiopathic, Hypertrophic, Restricted Cardiomyopathy, Prolonged QT syndrome, AICD (Implantable Defibrillator)